Student Council Tax

Council Tax Advice For Students

In most cases you won’t need to pay council tax as a student, but if you’re unsure about whether you need to pay or not then it’s best to talk to your local council yourself. Listening to rumours and horror stories of missed council tax payments down the pub won’t help you at all.

Here are some FAQ’s about council tax.

Do I need to pay council tax?

Because council tax is charged to properties and not people nearly all residential properties in the UK are charged council tax. However, you may be able to receive an exemption if everyone living in the property comes under one of these categories:

  • Full time college or university students
  • Student nurses

What counts as a full time student?

Council tax exemption criteria states that to qualify as a full time student you need to last at least one year on a course that requires you to attend a minimum of 24 weeks of the year. You will also need to undertake more than 21 hours of study, tuition, or work experience during term time.

You also count as a full time student if you are under 20 years old and studying for a qualification up to ‘A’ Level, Advanced Higher, NVQ/SVQ Level 3 or equivalent. Your course will need to last longer than three months and involve at least 12 hours study every week.

How do I prove exemption?

If you are a full time student you’ll need to get a certificate of student status from your college or university. If you live in a shared house or flat then all your housemates that are full time students will have to get a certificate of student status.

Can I get a discount if I have to pay?

If someone in your household isn’t a full time student, the property will still have to pay council tax. However, you may qualify for a discount depending on how many full time students are living there. You can find out more and apply for a discount on your local council website.