What documents do I need to study in the UK?

The UK has some fantastic universities that offer world class education and teaching standards so it’s no surprise that so many international students want to come and learn here.

Every year thousands of international students come to the UK to enjoy the benefits of a UK education.

Why should you choose the UK as a study destination?

According to the QS World University Rankings the UK boasts four out of the top six universities on the planet.

UK universities welcome international students with open arms and studying in the UK is a great way to immerse yourself in the British culture and learn more about its rich and vibrant heritage.

A UK education is recognised internationally and equips you to become a valuable member of the global workforce. “World leading” and “internationally excellent” are both phrases that have been used to describe universities and colleges in the UK.

You can find more benefits of being an international student in the UK on the UCAS website.

Where can I study in the UK with a Visa?

The UK Government tries to ensure that all of the colleges and universities that teach international students are responsible institutions and there are plenty of options available.

You can follow this link to see a list of registered Tier 4 Sponsors.

What are the entry requirements for UK universities?

Every UK university sets its own entry requirements so it’s important to check with the universities you want to apply to before submitting an application.

You’ll usually need to have A levels, IB qualifications, Scottish National Highers, or the equivalent further education qualifications from your country of origin.

In some cases, depending on the course you’re applying for, you might be able to use previous work experience as an entry requirement for your course.

They’ll be able to advise you on the correct application process for international students and help you with your Visa, if you need one, an English language test, and any other entry requirements they might have.

What documents do I need to study in the UK?

Depending on where you’re from you might need to apply for a Visa to study in the UK. Where you need a visa or not depends on your nationality and immigration status.

It’s most likely that you’ll need a Tier 4 Student Visa (if you’re aged over 16 and meet the eligibility requirements) and you may find that you need another Visa if you want to work in the UK.

You can check this on the Government Visa website.

When do I need to apply for my Visa?

You can apply for your Visa up to three months before your course start date, giving you plenty of time to get your application in before you begin your course.

Your application will usually take 15 days but this may take longer during peak times so don’t leave it until the last minute.

What is the process to apply for a Visa?

There are a few things you need to do before you can apply for your Visa:

  • You’ll need to add your passport number to your UCAS application
  • You’ll need to prove your English language skills – your university will advise you on the process for this but it could be a UKVI approved English test, alternative test, or Skype test with an admissions tutor – you may also need to take a test at a SELT centre as one of the conditions of your Visa
  • You’ll need to accept an unconditional offer from a university– your university will then give you a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) if they have a Tier 4 Sponsor licence
  • You can then apply for your Tier 4 Student Visa – make sure you submit all the required documents and proof that you can afford to study and live in the UK

Are there any healthcare charges in the UK?

If you are applying to come to the UK and study for more than six months – this will apply to you if you’re applying for a Tier 4 Visa – then there are some healthcare charges involved.

You’ll need to pay an additional £150 NHS healthcare surcharge per year.