Financial support for part-time study
Gain additional qualifications
Part-time study can help you gain additional qualifications so you can update your professional skills, enhance your career prospects and earn while you learn.
If you’re considering starting a part-time course from September this year, you should get your finances organised!
For the first time, students who study part-time or Open University courses can apply for a tuition fee loan from Student Finance England (SFE) this year, which means you don’t have to pay anything upfront.
How to apply for finance support
Here are some fast facts from Student Finance England on how to apply for part-time student finance support:
- You can apply now! Download a form from www.slc.co.uk/england or contact your university or college and ask for an application pack today.
- You don’t need a confirmed university place to apply for finance – use your first choice of course and you can update it later.
- You can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan of up to £6,750 if you’re studying at a publicly-funded university or college, or £4,500 for a privately-funded institution.
- To qualify for a loan, you must be studying at a course intensity of at least 25% of the full-time equivalent per year, taking no longer than four times the time it would take to complete the course if studied full time (up to a maximum of 16 years).
- You don’t start repaying your loan until you are earning over £21,000, usually repayment starts in April four years after the start of your course.
Remember to complete and return your application to SFE as soon as possible, to ensure your finance is in place at the start of term.
Application must haves
To prevent any delays in your application being processed students should ensure
they provide the following:
- your signature on the application
- the date beside your signature
- the correct details for your course
- the correct Tuition Fee Loan amount you are applying for
- either your in date Passport details or your original Birth Certificate with an accompanying declaration form: student finance forms
Unsure about your course details?
Contact your university for further details. Open University students should visit: www.open.ac.uk/study
Student Finance England has produced a wide range of helpful tools and guidance available online to help students through the application process, including new film animations with Bournemouth University. They also have 'quick guides' explaining how to apply, repayment options and the steps to apply for Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs). As well as guidance for students applying for tuition fee loans, The Open University has information about the range of different ways to pay for part-time study with the OU, including tuition fee loans, available on its website (
Continuing part-time students will be contacted by Student Finance England around the middle of August and their application form will be available to download from 3 September 2012.
All information is available from the ‘part-time’ section: www.slc.co.uk/england.
Student Finance England runs regular student finance surgeries on Facebook, answering your part-time and general queries: facebook.com/SFEngland